Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Too Many... or Not Enough?

I think I have a problem.

The other night I felt like I was having an unproductive evening because I'd only managed to clean my fish tank, plant my seeds in preparation for the end of the frost and make home made ice cream between work and bedtime.

I have too many hobbies. My girlfriend L suggested that perhaps I should start a hobby rotation plan. I pointed out that this would result in most hobbies being visited once a year or so. Which is fine for, say, photography*, but not so great for, say, my fish. So, instead, I have decided I'm going to start combining my hobbies. Blogging, as one of my hobbies, will have to start pulling its weight in the syngeretic hobby circle. This means that my blogs will start being about things. That's okay, I'm out of anecdotes anyway.

Incidentally, tonight's blog was going to be about bicycle mechanicking. Wheel building, specifically. Building a wheel is a simple, but sort of intense task. You get a hub, a rim, some spokes and some nipples. Oh, grow up. You then systematically thread the spokes through the hub and into the rim, until you have a self supporting structure. The components come in a variety of shapes and sizes. The most common wheels have either 32 or 36 spokes.

For "Guy Valentine's Day" L gave me a present — a brand new yellow
Velocity aero rim to go with my hot fixie wheel. (What did you think I was talking about, pervert?). So last week I stopped into the bike shop and bought a hub, some spokes and some nipples. Tonight I sat down with all my parts at my truing stand.

After threading 1/4 of the spokes I had, I discovered that I had run out of holes in my 32 hole rim, but had space for another spoke in the hub. Guess it's back to the bike store tomorrow. And this time I will count.

* I apologize to my friends who disagree, but I have to say, my camera will simply not die if I don't use it, whereas my fish, probably will die if I stop feeding and cleaning them.

No comments: